Laudetur Iesus Christus! Blessed feast of St. Teresa of Avila, the great Carmelite mystic. At the bottom of this e-mail, please find additional information on this important Carmelite saint.
Fr. Reid’s Pro-Life message as Early Voting Begins Today (October 15)
With Fr. Jones preaching at last Sunday’s Latin Mass, we missed an equally important homily Father Reid gave at the other St. Ann Masses on Sunday. As you will see it contains an important Pro-Life message for us Catholic voters. Please read Father’s homily in its entirety (link to PDF below) but we also wanted to highlight a few excerpts from Father’s homily:
- There is no greater evil in our society today than the willful killing of the unborn, who are the most innocent and vulnerable members of our society.
- But as this is also an election year, we must vote for Pro-Life candidates.
- There are Catholics who think there are other issues just as important as abortion when it comes to voting, yet it’s hard to think of abortion as just one issue among many when considering its consequences. What other issue results in the death of well over 800,000 innocent American children each year? Not immigration, not health care, not the death penalty.
- I bring this up not to tell you who to vote for, but because it’s my sacred duty to help you form your conscience. So you must understand that voting for a pro-abortion candidate, when there is a pro-life candidate on the same ballot, makes you an accomplice in the moral evil of abortion.
- Lastly, and most importantly, to battle the evil of abortion we must pray. I especially encourage you to pray the Rosary to end abortion. There is nothing more effective than prayer, and more than ever we need to pray for life, for our country, and for an end to all the evils we’ve embraced as a nation.
The fully homily is attached as a PDF, or at this link: https://www.stanncharlotte.org/october-11th-2020/
NC Pro-Life Voter Guides for Catholics
With early voting starting, lay Catholics & North Carolina Right to Life have published non-partisan candidate comparison guides which focus on the abortion stances of the candidates. There are localized guides for various areas in Charlotte (and a few outside). There are guides for various neighborhoods and regions in our area at this website: http://vote-catholic.com/
CLMC Reminder: During COVID, North Carolina said abortion facilities were essential, but Catholic Churches and Latin Masses “non-essential”
As we head to the polls, let us inform our consciences that during COVID, North Carolina Governor Roy Cooper and the party he leads, declared that abortion facilities were an essential service while “religious gatherings” – including the Traditional Latin Mass – were not. While we Catholics were forced to stay home, be deprived of the Traditional Mass and see God denied the glory He is due, the abortion facilities in our state were busy committing unspeakable horrors on the unborn and mothers – thanks to wisdom of our “public servants”.
We’ve covered the Church’s liberty many times in prior weeks, but it’s also time act on these traditional Church teachings – including the Social Kingship of Christ – at the voting booth as well. Let us restore the rights of Our Savior Jesus Christ to the public square and to our state government. Blessed Karl of Austria, pray for us!
Carmelite Feast Day: Today is also the Feast of St. Teresa of Avila, which is one of the statues in St. Ann parish. Incidentally, there is a 7pm Latin Mass at St. Thomas Aquinas tonight for her feast day. As custom, we include Dom Prosper Gueranger’s meditation on this great saint here: https://sensusfidelium.us/the-liturgical-year-dom-prosper-gueranger/october/october-15-st-teresa-of-avila-virgin/
Support the Carmelite Hermits in Pennsylvania:
Lastly, since today is a Carmelite feast day, we wanted to share an opportunity to support our friends, the Hermits of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel, a traditional Carmelite community. Some of you may recall meeting the Hermits when they visited in 2017. They are a group of traditional Carmelite hermits based in Fairfield, PA who offer the Traditional Carmelite (Latin) Mass exclusively. Please offer a prayer for the Hermits on their feast day. Additionally, they subsist solely on donations and are always grateful for any financial support: https://www.eremitaednmc.org/
St. Teresa of Avila, pray for us!