A new group for young adults has formed in Charlotte called Juventutem (Latin for youth. Pronounced Yoo-ven-too-tem). It’s open to ages 18-35 and they seek sanctification through the traditional charisms of the Church, especially through a devotion to the Traditional Latin Mass. Juventutem is an international group and takes its name from the prayer at the beginning of each Latin Mass:
Introíbo ad altáre Dei. / Ad Deum, qui lætíficat iuventútem meam. (“I will go in to the altar of God. / To God, who giveth joy to my youth”)
The mission of Juventutem is to strengthen the faith among young adults through fellowship, spiritual growth and faithful catechesis. All young adults welcome – especially those new or unfamiliar to the Latin Mass.
Come join them at their next event:
- July 17, 10am: Pilgrimage, Mass & Tour to Old St. Joseph in Mt. Holly: Juventutem will be sponsoring a unique and special Latin Mass & pilgrimage for young adults to Old St. Joseph Catholic Church in Mt. Holly (NC 273 & Sandy Ford Road, Mt. Holly). The church, built by Irish miners in the 1840s, is one of the oldest standing churches in North Carolina. Latin Mass will be at 10am followed by a special tour of the church. For more information please find them on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/JuventutemCLT
- Ongoing Latin Mass Series:
Juventutem event – 1st and 3rd Tuesdays beginning June 1, 7pm (St. Mark Parish, Huntersville)
Juventutem is hosting a new series!
Beginning Tuesday June 1st at7pm, we will consistently gather every first and third Tuesday of the month at 7pm at St. Mark’s Kerin Center (Room 202) for study, discussion, and prayer. During these sessions we will explore the nature of Tradition in the history of the Catholic Church beginning with the Mass. Each evening will conclude with night prayer in the chapel.
Upcoming topics in the series:
1. The Mass (Part 1) – basic history and an explanation of how it began and its roots in the church.
2. The Mass (Part 2) – how it is celebrated today and how we got to this point in the church
3. The Missal – containing the same format for what I mentioned earlier in my prior email (may require a part 2)
4. The Language (Latin)
5. The Traditions – deeper dive into certain feast days, symbolic references used in the mass, and perhaps how the Saints were tied into the Latin mass etc.
(All events will be in Kerin Center Room 202. St. Mark parish is located at 14740 Stumptown Road, Huntersville.
For questions or to join Juventutem’s e-mail list, please contact Angela Kessler at JuventutemCLT(at)gmail.com They are also on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/JuventutemCLT/
To watch videos of past Juventutem talks visit: