Laudetur Iesus Christus! We have several items to share with you this month:
- Important Latin Mass schedule change at Sacred Heart in Salisbury. Beginning in September, the Sunday 4pm Latin Mass will now only be offered monthly. The upcoming Latin Mass dates are: September 13 and October 18. For all other weeks that do not have a Latin Mass scheduled, there will not be any 4pm Sunday Mass. Please check the Sacred Heart bulletin or parish office for the most accurate information on Mass schedules.
- Latin Classes being offered at St. Michael’s in Gastonia. Mr. John Welsh, a teacher at St. Michael’s school will be offering classes in the Basics of Ecclesiastical Latin. Please visit our link below to learn more about this interesting class. To contact Mr. Welsh to sign up, please e-mail him at jwpublius (at) yahoo (dot) com
- Photos from St. Ann’s Solemn High Assumption & Anniversary Mass. Our own John Cosmos took some stunning photographs of Saturday’s beautiful liturgy with Bishop Jugis. Please take time to enjoy the photos.
Below is information on learning Latin classes Mr. John Welsh is offering at St. Michael’s in Gastonia. Classes will be held in the Church hall.
Here are the details for Basics of Ecclesiastical Latin, the class that’s less intensive and intended for a wide parish audience:
This class meets once a week for 90 minutes, every Wednesday from 9:30 to 11:00 AM. Class will meet in the Church Hall, which is the small building right behind the Old Church. The class is designed to run essentially for a whole school year, and is broken up into two parts, or semesters.
- The first semester will begin on Wednesday 26 August and conclude on Wednesday 16 December; there will be no class November 25 (Thanksgiving).
- The second semester will begin on Wednesday 20 January 2016 and conclude on Wednesday 18 May; there will be no class March 23 (Holy Week) or March 30 (Easter Week).
The textbook for the class will be Latina Christiana I by Cheryl Lowe, ISBN: 193095302X; ISBN-13 978-1930953024. It is widely available online, and retails at Amazon for $12.00. Other materials needed for this class are of the usual kind: a binder with pockets and looseleaf paper for taking notes, doing classwork, and keeping handouts; 3×5 index cards for making flashcards; and lots of pens, pencils and erasers.
The fee for this class will be $200 per student for the whole year, August through May, besides the textbook and class materials. The $200 may be paid all at once at the start, or may be split into two halves due at the beginning of each semester. Some payment is expected by the September 2 class meeting.
Thank you for your interest! I look forward to seeing many of you on August 26th.
If you have additional concerns or if I have accidentally left out other important information, please feel free to let me know.
For more information please contact Mr. Welsh at jwpublius (at) yahoo (dot) com.